Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 1- Off to a Great Start!

I can tell that it won't always be easy to stay off the milk.  But today was a good one.  A couple of challenges:

1. Eating out... I am determined not to burden anyone else with my desire to eat dairy-free.  Plus, I really hate asking questions.  So when we went out to a burger joint for lunch, I had to think outside the box.  Yes, I could have had a burger, but a burger without cheese is pointless.  Fried chicken should be dipped in milk before breading, so the chicken sandwich is out, too.  Plus, I wasn't sure about the buns, and I was not about to ask whether they contained milk.  What to do...  How about some chili?  Chili-mac to be exact.  Luckily, they sell their chili canned, so I could check the ingredients easily.  And pasta is just flour and water.  And, surprise, it was good!  Like, really good.  Great dairy-free find at Steak & Shake!

2. My mother decided to make spaghetti for dinner, which is cool.  Unfortunately, she didn't check the ingredients on the sauce or meatballs, both of which had cheese in them.  Not a big deal.  I already told her that this is my thing, I don't expect anyone else to have to change anything.  So I had pasta (yeah, again.  Good think I like pasta.) with olive oil and salt.  Again, it turned out the be really good.  Next time I think I will add a couple of tomatoes as well.

Top off the day with a couple of scoops of the Purely Decadent non-dairy ice cream, and it was a very successful day!  I don't know if I can attribute it to anything just yet, but I felt pretty good this morning, stomach-wise.    Yay!

What I Ate Today:

Breakfast- fried egg (2), Publix brand white bread (2), real mayo, almond milk
Snack- Craisens
Lunch- Steak & Shake Chili 3-Way (spaghetti,  chili w/ beans, extra chili meat, chili sauce), saltine crackers, cherry sprite
Dinner- spaghetti w/ olive oil, salad (lettuce, tomato, red and green peppers), raspberry vinagrette, almond milk
Dessert- Purely Decadent Mocha Almond Fudge non-dairy frozen dessert, Hershey's Chocolate syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment